Friend's Blogs

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who Am I?


My name is Zach Goltz.  I am a seventeen year old, high school senior from Aurora, Nebraska.  I was born in Hastings, Nebraska on March 1st, 1995. Not many people know this, but when I was two I had a tumor in my right cheek.  A growth started to develop and nobody could tell what it was.  It kept expanding in my cheek and started moving towards my eye and nose.  My parents thought that it was a tumor and that it needed to be checked out.  We went to a surgeon in Lincoln, to see how bad it was, and they said that it would be extremely hard for a two year old to get through it, but it could be done.  We immediately went into surgery.  The doctors had to cut through my gum and shred the tumor from the inside.  During this process they destroyed my sinus, so I never get extremely sick and my sinuses never get blocked up.  After 5 hours of surgery, the doctors got rid of the tumor.  They had to sew up my gum, so now it is basically all scar tissue.  My first pre-molar is completely fake because it never fully developed.  I’ve never really told anyone about that, but there is a first time for everything.  When I was twelve, I also had skin cancer on my back in two different places.  I guess I just am extremely lucky.
 I am the middle child in my family.  I have a 21 year old sister, Alex and a 15 year old brother, Nathan.  My sister is a senior at UNL and my brother is a sophomore at Aurora High School.  My family has always been there for me in good times and bad, no matter what the situation is.  My family and I are extremely close and we would never let anything happen to each other.  My family started by living in Grand Island, Nebraska until I was three and then I moved to Aurora.  I have pretty much spent my entire life here and I don’t think that I would have been able to grow up in a large town.  It just wouldn’t have fit right.
When I was eight I had another tragic accident.  I was in my living room whidling a stick with a brand new pocket knife stolen from my dad.  I was whidling away, when suddenly I missed (the stick).  I cut my ring and middle finger and went straight through my left index finger.  I went through the bone and all of the tendons.  My finger was hanging by a tiny piece of skin.  I honestly didn’t feel any pain, because I was in shock.  I gripped my hand tight and walked into the bathroom where my mom was doing her makeup.  I remember clear as day I said, “Mom, promise me you won’t be mad but we have a problem.”  I let go of my finger and instantly the sink was full of blood.  My mom screamed and wrapped my hand in a towel.  We rushed to the Emergency Room and instantly the doctor was in my room.  The doctor wrapped it and put pressure so he could stop the bleeding.  During this my mom called my dad!  All I could think was “He is going to kill me.”  He got to the hospital and he was very upset at me.  The doctor got the bleeding to stop, so now it was time for the numb shot.  He literally took off my finger and put the needle into the bone to injection the substance to numb my finger.  It was the WORST pain I have EVER experienced, I cried like a little girl.  The doctor put my finger back on and sewed it back on.  I had to wear a plastic splint that looked like a prosthetic finger.  I don’t know how, but it is now fully functional.
My parents have always been awesome.  When I was eleven, my parents came home from Lincoln with an old bread truck.  We literally created an Ice Cream truck.  It was every kid’s dream to chase the Ice Cream truck and get ice cream, and I could now get ice cream whenever I wanted to.  I was the happiest kid ever.  After a couple of years, it got to be too much work with having kids in high school  and being involved in so many different things.  Last year, we had to sell it.  I was so depressed, because ever since we started it, I was determined to drive it to prom.  That never happened due to selling it.
I am a very lucky person and I have an amazing life.  I am passionate about so many things, and I enjoy a number of different things.  Ever since I was little, I always played sports.  I have played football, basketball, baseball, optimist soccer; I’ve even played lacrosse in Colorado.  Sports just let you show your talents.  I love to play the drums.  I’ve been playing the drums since I was in 5th grade.  I love the drums; I can honestly express so much.  I really enjoy playing in the band and playing the drums during volleyball and basketball games.  I just love to be active period.  It helps you stay in shape and you are NEVER bored.
I feel that I am a very unique person in more ways than one.  Nobody is exactly like me and I love that.  Sometimes I know that I can be crazy, but that’s just me.  I was put on this world for a purpose, and I’m going to try to fulfill it.  You need people like me in this world.  If you don’t have them than the world would be extremely boring.
 
 
Life Sound Track
This song really describes my life and who I am.  I think that it perfectly describes my life
and how I am suppose to live it.
 
 
 
               

2 comments:

  1. Zach,

    I never knew you had such serious medical conditions. You are one very lucky person! And I can't believe you cut off your fingers! Holy Moly! I agree; you are unique!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach I loved your essay!! I never knew that you had a tumor in your cheek when you were 2! I'm very surprised I've never heard about this until now! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete